LIVERPOOL: Diego Costa struck the second-half winner as Premier League leaders Chelsea extended their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-1 victory at Anfield.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard complained vehemently but in vain to referee Anthony Taylor at the final whistle that they should have been awarded a penalty for a late apparent handling offence by Gary Cahill.

Brendan Rodgers’s men, beaten crucially 2-0 at home by Chelsea in April, took an early lead through Emre Can’s first competitive goal for the club. His shot was deflected wide of keeper Thibaut Courtois by Cahill who struck the equaliser five minutes later. The goal was verified by goal-line technology after goalkeeper Simon Mignolet could not prevent it crossing the line.

Costa struck the winner, his 10th goal of term, in the 67th minute.

Rodgers has yet to win a match in eight games as a manager against Mourinho. He also thought Cahill’s handball “was a clear penalty.” He added: “We deserved at least a point. Now we have to keep working hard, get some of the injured players back. It’s been a tough week but we’ll go away for the international break and we’ll be ready then for Crystal Palace.”

This was Liverpool’s third defeat in a week after losses against Stoke and then at Real Madrid in the Champions League.

Substitute Shane Long struck twice late on as second-placed Southampton stayed within touching distance of the leaders with a 2-0 win over Leicester at St Mary’s Stadium.

Both sides struggled in difficult conditions on the south coast with Sadio Mane closest to a first half opener when his close-range effort was ruled out for offside.

Long replaced Mane in the 67th minute and curled home the opening goal eight minutes later, before beating the visitors’ offside trap to stroke home his second with 10 minutes to go.

Louis Van Gaal was a relieved man after watching Manchester United struggle to a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.

United’s defensive frailties were once again in evidence as Fraizer Campbell was gifted a golden chance to open the scoring in the first half after hesitation between Daley Blind and Paddy McNair.

Yannick Bolasie also missed a good chance but United rode their luck and grabbed the winner in the 67th minute when substitute Juan Mata played a neat one-two with Angel di Maria before firing home.

Mata also hit the post late on as United improved and ultimately did just enough to earn their victory.

Burnley claimed their first top-flight win at the 11th time of trying as they edged a 1-0 win over Hull at Turf Moor.

Recalled Ashley Barnes was the hero as he headed home Kieran Trippier’s 50th minute cross to finally get Sean Dyche’s season up and running.

Andy Carroll came close to claiming all three points for West Ham in his first appearance of the season at Upton Park.

The Hammers were largely frustrated by a resolute Aston Villa side who were looking to end a miserable run of six successive defeats.

Diafra Sakho missed two late chances before Carroll replaced Mark Noble in stoppage time and saw a strong late header brilliantly saved by Brad Guzan as Villa clung on for a goalless draw.