ZURICH: Argentinian sports marketing executive Alejandro Burzaco, who is being sought by the United States authorities in the FIFA corruption investigation, has surrendered to police in Italy.
Burzaco, who holds dual Argentina/Italy citizenship, is a senior figure in the TyC agency which has played a major role in TV football rights control in South America.
His lawyer Mariano Mendilaharzu, in answer to questions from Argentina’s Radio Mitre, said Burzaco would not contest an extradition application from the US Justice Department.
He is currently on bail but under house arrest in the northern Italian city of Bolzano.
Burzaco was one of 14 people indicted by US authorities May 27 on corruption charges relating to the commercial rights of football tournaments in the Americas.
** Zico, former Brazil World Cup star, has repeated his intention of running for the FIFA presidency. Incumbent Sepp Blatter last week announced his intention to step down, four days after having been re-elected.
** Swiss investigators, acting for the attorney-general’s offices, have taken more documents and electronic data from FIFA headquarters in their inquiries into the 2018-2022 World Cup bid scandal.
A FIFA statement said: “As confirmed by the Office of the General Attorney in Switzerland, FIFA yesterday provided as scheduled the requested electronic data related to the 2018/2022 bidding process.
“This is standard procedure as part of the investigation that FIFA itself initiated in November 2014 and with which it has since been cooperating closely. At no stage were any offices searched nor computers seized.
“It was a regular handover of IT data to the representatives of the Swiss General Attorney’s Office.”