ZURICH: FIFA has insisted it remains committed to reform in the wake of the latest round of dire warnings about what further judicial damage may lie ahead writes KEIR RADNEDGE.
The world football federation was reacting to warnings yesterday from the attorneys-general of the both the United States and Switzerland that further action was around the corner in their separate investigations into the commerce of the football world.
Loretta Lynch from the US said, on the side of an international prosecutors’ conference in Zurich, that a further wave of arrests would follow the 14 enacted in May in the so-called FIFAGate investigation into fraud, money-laundering and conspiracy.
Michael Lauber, her Swiss counterpart, said that new evidence had been turned up during domestic investigations. He also said that a controversial contract concerning the sale of World Cup TV rights – signed off by FIFA president Sepp Blatter to then CONCACAF head Jack Warner – would also be studied.
FIFA is currently undertaking a revived governance reform effort ahead of an extraordinary congress next February 26 to elect a presidential successor to Blatter.
A statement from its Zurich headquarters refused to comment on judicial action but insisted on a will to refine and reform its way of working.
It said: “FIFA is cooperating with the authorities and will not comment on ongoing investigations. We are dedicated to improving the organization, and will continue to strengthen FIFA’s governance and accountability.
“Our work in this area continues to evolve, and we are focused on achieving the highest standards for the international football community.”