LAUSANNE: Michel Platini left the Court of Arbitration in a positive mood after taking the latest step in trying to clear his name of misconduct allegations and stand for president of world football federation FIFA writes KEIR RADNEDGE.
The French president of European governing body UEFA had appealed to CAS against a 90-day provisional suspension imposed by the FIFA ethics committee in October.
He hopes to have it lifted so he can attend the Euro 2016 finals draw in PAris on Saturday.
Platini was suspended from football over allegations that he accepted a ‘disloyal payment’ of SFr2m from FIFA, authorised by Sepp Blatter, in February 2011. The payment issue had been discovered by Swiss police who placed Blatter under criminal investigation and assessed Platini at a status somewhere between witness and accused.
The payment, according to Platini, was for work he had undertaken for FIFA at Blatter’s behest between 1999 and 2002. Platini claimed he had not demanded payment at the time because of FIFA’s financial problems.
Blatter has said that the money had been due to Platini on the basis of a ‘verbal contract’. However, by the long-delayed time Platini claimed the payment, the five-year deadline for honouring the debt had elapsed.
On leaving the court, Platini said: “My lawyers have done a very good job. You know that I don’t like injustices. I hope that I was well heard today.”
A decision is expected before the end of the week or on Friday at the latest.
Both Blatter and Platini have denied wrongdoing and have been notified that the ethics committee will hear their final submission before passing judgment later next week.