NYON: Burnley bowed out of the Europa League on Thursday night but Celtic made no mistake as they advanced to the group stages.

Burnley’s hopes of making the Europa League group stage came to an end as a 1-1 draw with Olympiakos at Turf Moor in their qualifying play-off second leg saw them lose the tie 4-2 on aggregate.

Knowing a 2-0 win on the night would be enough to send them through, Sean Dyche’s Clarets created some great chances in the first half but were unable to take them, with Sam Vokes sending one header wide and another over.

Ashley Barnes then struck narrowly wide, Vokes sent a curling effort against a post early in the second half and teenager Dwight McNeil brought a good save out of Andreas Gianniotis.

Olympiakos subsequently snatched a goal in the 83rd minute through Daniel Podence before substitute Matej Vydra, making his Burnley debut, replied with a close-range finish three minutes later.

While there was certainly encouragement to be taken from the performance, there will also surely be feelings of frustration on Burnley’s part as their first taste of European football since 1966-67 concluded after three two-legged qualifying ties.

Dyche’s men, who have one point from their opening three Premier League games, are back in action at Turf Moor on Sunday when they face Manchester United, and Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho was watching from the stands on Thursday evening.

Leigh Griffiths scored his 100th goal for Celtic as they beat Suduva 3-0 in the play-off second leg to book their place in the group stage of the Europa League.

Boss Brendan Rodgers was disappointed with his side’s performance in the 1-1 draw in the first leg in Lithuania last Thursday but his players responded with a convincing victory at Parkhead.

The win was set up in the 27th minute when the Scotland striker curled in a textbook free-kick from 25 yards to reach his century.

Midfielder Callum McGregor added a second seven minutes after the break before defender Kristoffer Ajer headed in his first goal for Celtic just after the hour mark to complete a comprehensive 4-1 aggregate win.

Leigh Griffiths and Brendan Rodgers
Leigh Griffiths and Brendan Rodgers

More from the Europa League…

There were some tight tussles elsewhere and some upsets.

Red Bull Leipzig needed a 90th-minute penalty from Emil Forsberg to squeeze through at the expense of Zorya, the German side winning 3-2 on the night and on aggregate.

FC Copenhagen beat Atalanta 4-3 on penalties after a goalless 210 minutes of play.

Norwegian debutants Sarpsborg lost 2-1 at Maccabi Tel Aviv but prevailed 4-3 on aggregate.

Apollon beat Basel – who reached the Champions League knockout stages last season – 1-0 in Cyprus to draw the tie 3-3 and advance on away goals.

Zenit St Petersburg, winners of the 2008 UEFA Cup, lost 2-1 at Molde, but advanced 4-3 on aggregate at the expense of the Norwegians.

Malmo beat Midtjylland 2-0 to progress 4-2 on aggregate, while Luxembourg’s Dudelange claimed a 3-2 win over Cluj in Romania to go through 5-2 on aggregate.

Managerless Bordeaux beat Belgium’s Gent 2-0 to seal their place in Friday’s draw for the group stage, with Francois Kamano and Jimmy Briand on the scoresheet.