LAS VEGAS/TURIN: Cristiano Ronaldo will not face criminal charges in the US over rape allegations concerning an incident in Las Vegas a decade ago.
Prosecutors have said that allegations of sexual assault allegation cannot be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. The Portugal captain, who has just won the Italian league title with Juventus, has always maintained his innocence.
The case stems from a June 13, 2009, call from a woman to Las Vegas police. She reported that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday.
She declined at the time to identify the person who she said assaulted her.
The woman and Ronaldo reached a civil settlement in 2010 but last August she asked police to reopen the investigation and Ronaldo was the person who assaulted her.
Now the District Attorney’s Office has said: “Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”