PARIS/LISBON: A goal from Kylian Mbappe, with almost the last kick of stoppage time, edged Paris Saint-Germain to a 1-0 win over Real Madrid in their Champions League second round first leg

Mbappe produced a slice of the individual magic which Madrid hope to see him exhibiting on their behalf next season tocollect as assist from Neymar, cut in from the left, ghost past two defenders and slide an angle shot beneath keeper Thibaut Courtois’s outstretched left leg.

Neymar had stepped off the bench as a second-half replacement for Angel Di Maria in his first appearance since November.

Earlier Courtois had kept alive Madrid, record 13-times European champions, with a penalty save from Leo Messi.

PSG, who lost in the semi-finals to Manchester City last season and were beaten in the 2020 final by Bayern Munich, dominated at the Parc des Princes, but failed to make all their pressure tell.

Di Maria set the tone after lifting an early chance for PSG over the crossbar from close range. Courtois denied Mbappe after the interval and Messi fired the loose ball over before Dani Carvajal was adjudged to have taken out Mbappe in the penalty area in the 61st minute.

Messi’s spot-kick was saved by Courtois and it appeared not even the returning Neymar could break Real’s stubborn resistance until the Brazilian set up Mbappe for the decisive strike deep in added time.

Madrid will be without both Casemiro and Ferland Mendy for the return leg after they picked up bookings.

Easy for City

The night’s other tie saw Manchester City ensure their place in the quarter-finals with a devastating 5-0 victory away to Sporting Club of Portugal in Lisbon.

Bernardo Silva was brilliant, silencing the boos that greeted every touch from him and City’s three other former Benfica players with his side’s second and fourth goals, the first a glorious half-volley following a corner.

In-form Riyad Mahrez was on the scoresheet again with a close-range finish awarded via VAR after a lengthy delay to assess if Kevin de Bruyne had strayed offside in the build-up as originally ruled.

Phil Foden also added to his growing collection of cool, calm finishes in a relentless first half that shattered Sporting.

There was no let-up after the break, with Silva seeing a hat-trick headed goal ruled out for offside before he set up Raheem Sterling to curl in a lovely fifth.

Sporting will travel to Manchester for the formality of the second leg on Wednesday 16 March.