LONDON: Trent Alexander-Arnold underlined his value to Liverpool and potential worth to England next summer by turning up as the match-winner as in a dramatic 4-3 Anfield victory over Fulham.

Liverpool twice took the lead in an end-to-end first half and Fulham hit back both times. A trademark free kick from Alexander-Arnold skidded into the net off keeper Bernd Leno to put Liverpool ahead. Harry Wilson equalised, Alexis Mac Allister’s fired Liverpool back ahead from 30 metres before Kenny Tete levelled. VAR confirmed the goal because Darwin Nunez had played Tete onside.

The second half was even more entertaining. Darwin Nunez hit the bar before substitute Bobby Decordova-Reid headed Fulham into the lead in the 80th minute. Liverpool never lost belief, stormed forward in typical style, equalised through Wataru Endo and regained the lead through Alexander-Arnold a minute later.

Liverpool thus remained two points behind league leaders Arsenal whom they must visit in the third round of the FA Cup in the first weekend of January.

Alexander-Arnold, who had been pushed forward into midfield in the closing stages by manager Jurgen Klopp, had scored Liverpool’s equaliser the previous week against Manchester City. England manager Gareth Southgate has started experimenting with Alexander-Arnold in midfield though Klopp has been reluctant to do so. Klopp values the way his player can use the space available front of him from rightback.

Klopp said: “What can I say? We played an incredible game, we scored four world class goals and were lucky in the end to win the game. That tells you everything. I told the boys to keep that feeling at 3-3. We kept believing.

“I have never seen four goals before in one game like this, to be honest. But we didn’t defend well at times. There was a period swhen it was all over the place but the second for Trent was very, very special.”

Alexander-Arnold added: “I’m ecstatic. Important game and important goal for the team. We needed to win. At 87 minutes it didn’t look likely but we dug deep and found a way. We did that last week and now we’ve done it again.”

Spurs hold City

Heung-min Son scored for both teams as Tottenham drew 3-3 at Manchester City. The Korean scored for Spurs after six minutes then conceded an own goal equaliser three minutes later.

City could have won by a much larger margin. Jeremy Doku and Julian Alvarez hit the posts and Erling Haaland missed an open goal before Phil Foden scored City’s second. Gio lo Celso and Dejan Kulusevski struck either side of a Jack Grealish strike

More bad news for City: both Grealish and Rodri will miss Wednesday’s visit to Aston Villa through suspension after collecting fifth yellow cards. This is the first time City have gone three games without a win since April 2017.

Ollie Watkins reminded England manager Gareth Southgate of his quality by saving a point for Aston Villa with the 90th-minute equaliser for a 2-2 draw at Bournemouth.

Villa thus ensured they stay in the top four Champions League slots. Watkins, needing to keep scoring to claim a Euro 2024 place, said: “It was a good header, one of the best I’ve scored.”

Enzo Fernandez scored twice for the first time since arriving in January as 10-man Chelsea beat Brighton in a 3-2 thriller. The Argentine midfielder headed the Blues in front after 17 minutes and extended their lead from a penalty midway through the second half.

Chelsea collected only their second league home win despite a 45th-minute red card after a second yellow for captain Conor Gallagher. Brighton have won only one of their last seven league games.