LONDON: Luton Town captain Tom Lockyer was reportedly “stable” in hospital after suffering a cardiac arrest on the pitch during the abandoned Premier League match at Bournemouth.

Both sets of players were taken off midway through the second half as Lockyer received medical treatment.

The 29-year-old was responsive as he was carried off on a stretcher to applause and taken to hospital.

A Luton statement later said Lockyer was “stable and currently undergoing further tests”.

It added: “Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain [Tom Lockyer] suffered cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher.

“He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides.

“Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside.”

Following confirmation the game was abandoned, both the Luton and Bournemouth players came back out on to the pitch to applaud the supporters, with Hatters manager Rob Edwards visibly emotional.

Lockyer collapsed during the play-off final win against Coventry in May before being taken to hospital.

He subsequently had heart surgery and was given the all-clear to return to playing in June.

The Premier League said in a statement: “The match between AFC Bournemouth and Luton Town FC has been abandoned due to a player medical incident. Our thoughts are with Tom Lockyer and all players involved in today’s match.

“We are sorry to all supporters present that players from both sides were in no state of mind to continue with the game after seeing their much-loved team-mate and friend taken off like that and staff could not carry on with managing the game in such circumstances.

“We thank everyone for the wonderful applause and singing of Locks’ [Lockyer’s] name inside the stadium at such a difficult time.”

Champions held

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola refused to blame bad luck for their failure to see out games after they dropped more points from a winning position in the 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

The defending champions led 2-0 with 15 minutes to go but were pegged back by Jean-Philippe Mateta’s breakaway goal and Michael Olise’s 95th-minute penalty as the Eagles completed an unlikely comeback.

It is the fourth time in their past six Premier League matches where City have been held after leading late on, leaving them three points behind leaders Liverpool, who have a game in hand.

“It’s not bad luck, it’s deserved,” Guardiola said. “We gave away two points but if you give away a penalty, you deserve it.”