WARSAW: Wisla Krakow have threatened to boycott the Polish Cup final if a ban on their fans attending the game is upheld, according to club president Jaroslaw Krolewski.

The second-tier side reached the final with a 2-1 win over top-flight Piast Gliwice on Wednesday, but celebrations were overshadowed by a ban which threatens to deny Wisla supporters the chance to attend the final in Warsaw.

During a cup defeat at Motor Lublin last season, the throwing of flares onto the pitch by Wisla fans led to a three-match ban on the club’s supporters attending away games in the competition.

Wisla played five home games this season in reaching the final and have yet to serve any part of that ban. They now need a reprieve from the Polish FA (PZPN) before the final with Pogon Szczecin.

“Wisla Krakow will not play in the final at the National Stadium if our fans do not appear at the ground,” Krolewski posted on social media platform X.

“However, if the organisers are unable to ensure safety (which would be an embarrassment), let’s play the match in Krakow, Szczecin or another location.”

The post was accompanied by a photo of a threatening banner hung outside the National Stadium which said “May 2, No Mercy, Krakow bones will be broken” a reference to the date of the final.

PZPN president Cezary Kulesza responded on X by saying: “Jaroslaw, we talked about fans yesterday when I called to congratulate you. I repeat, Wisla Krakow can count on openness from the PZPN.

“However, we must act within the limits of applicable formal procedures. If you submit an appropriate application, I guarantee that it will be carefully analysed and fairly assessed.”

Krolewski replied that he was less concerned with the decision process of the PZPN but rather with the fact that for many months Wisla fans have been unable to attend away games, with clubs using the “level of security” argument.

Wisla have now lodged an appeal to the PZPN.

“Wisla Krakow applied to PZPN for the suspension of the ban on the travel of organised groups of fans imposed on the club after the Polish Cup match played in Lublin,” a club statement said.