STUTTGART: Scotland’s fans had been all over Germany during the group stage of the UEFA Euro finals, no matter whether their team were playing in any one particular city or another. “No Scotland, no party!” they chanted in streets, in squares, on stations and on trams and trains.

But for the party to continued demanded that manager Steve Clarke’s men should beat Hungary to boldly go where no Scotland team had gone before, into the knockout phase of a major tournament. The wait goes on after Hungarian substitute Kevin Csoboth struck in the ninth minute of stoppage time.

The Group A tie had run on so long after a lengthy stoppage for a serious head injury to Hungarian forward Barnabas Varga midway through the second half.

Simultaneously Germany and Switzerland drew 1-1 in Frankfurt to finish first and second in the group. Hungary must wait to see whether three points will be enough to take them through among the four best third place teams.

Scotland, badly beaten in their opener by Germany, had regained hope with a 1-1 draw against the Swiss, started their last tie third in the table and ended up fourth and bottom.

Hungary began cautiously, allowing busy Scotland the freedom of midfield although it was Bendeguz Bolla who delivered the first attempt on goal with a 25-metre shot which Angus Gunn, diving, punched away in unorthodox fashion. Dominik Szoboszlai, on the halfhour, saw a central free kick ricochet off the defensive wall and over the bar.

When Hungary committed themselves to attacking action. Szoboszlai chipped another free kick over the wall and thus time Willi Orban, unmarked, headed against the top of the crossbar at close range.

At halftime the Tartan Army would not have been happy: 61pc possession but nothing to show for it: no corners and no shot.

Che Adams managed Scotland’s first goal effort after the interval with a shot high over the bar before Marton Dardai, at the other end, headed over the Scottish bar after a left-wing corner.

As Hungary flew forward again so Varga was knocked unconscious after a collision with keeper Gunn and Anthony Ralston. Play was held up for almost 10 minutes while medical staff attended to Varga who was carried off on a stretcher.

The incident appeared to focus the minds of both sets of players on the fact that time was running out for them in Germany. Play grew more urgent and Scotland had a penalty claim turned down by Argentinian referee Facundo Tello after newly-arrived substitute Stuart Armstrong tumbled in shielding a through ball from Orban.

The fourth official signalled 10 minutes of stoppage time in which Hungary should have won it immediately. Gunn made two fine saves in quick succession from Andras Schafer and Szoboszlai then Kevin Csoboth hit a post.

Scotland charged forward, forced a corner . . . and when it was cleared downfield Csoboth sidefooted a right-wing cross beyond Gunn to keep Hungary hoping and send Scotland home.