LONDON: Liverpool and Luis Suarez have accepted the 10-match ban imposed by the Football Association for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic during last Sunday’s 2-2 draw at Anfield.
In yet another of his litany of tweets over the incident, Suarez apologised yet again. He said: “I am truly very sorry. I hope that all the people who I have offended at Anfield last Sunday will grant me forgiveness. ”
Suarez added that, although his ban was greater than those in incidents where players had been badly injured, he feared an appeal might “give the wrong impression”. The ban starts immediately so he will miss Liverpool’s final Premier League games of this season – against Newcastle, Everton, Fulham and QPR – and the first six domestic matches of the 2013-14 campaign.
The 26-year-old had already accepted a three-match suspension for violent conduct, but could have challenged the additional seven-game punishment.
Liverpool had said they were “shocked” and “bitterly disappointed” by the severity of their striker’s punishment with manager Brendan Rodgers cited incidents involving Jermain Defoe and Chester defender Sean Hessey.
Suarez himself was banned for seven games for biting an opponent when he was a player with Dutch side Ajax of Amsterdam.
The Uruguay international, who apologised to Ivanovic for his “inexcusable behaviour”, had been criticised by Prime Minister David Cameron for setting “the most appalling example to young people.”
He is also subject to a FIFA investigation over an incident in which Suarez appeared to punch Chile defender Gonazalo Jara during a World Cup qualifying tie on March 26.
= = = = =