MUNICH: Uli Hoeness has said he sees no resign as president of Bayern Munich despite of his upcoming trial next March for alleged tax evasion.
The 61-year-old, interviewed by ZDF, said: “Why should I? There has never been a reason, as I have the full support of the fans, the members and the advisory board.”
Hoeness said he had “not yet found anyone within the club” who had asked him to resign. “There were only a few journalists, who obviously didn’t like the idea that the club and its president could stand together as one,” he added.
The former World Cup-winner, who is accused of not declaring millions of euros from tax authorities in a Swiss account, is due to go on trial at Munich’s higher regional court on March 10. He said he would protest his innocence.
Hoeness’s initial offer to resign in May was rejected by the club’s supervisory board. In a statement earlier this month, the club said an independent inquiry by legal experts has advised the Bayern board that it does not have to request Hoeness’ resignation from a legal point of view.
Bayern beat Augsburg 3-0 at the weekend to set a Bundesliga record of 37 matches undefeated in what was their seventh straight home win and which increased their lead at the top to four points.
Last season’s treble winners, who overhauled the record set by Hamburg 30 years ago, have not been beaten in the league since October 28 last year when they lost 2-1 at Leverkusen.