LONDON: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and midfielders Willian and Ramires were all sent off as the Premier League leaders went down 1-0 at Aston Villa.

Mourinho was sent to the stands on Saturday evening by referee Chris Foy after running on to the pitch to protest after midfielders Willian and Ramires were sent off in the closing stages of a 1:0 upset at Aston Villa. Defeat ended a 14-match unbeaten league run.

The first Brazilian went for a second yellow card and the other Brazilian for a violent tackle on Marc Albrighton. Both will miss next Saturday’s crucial clash with Arsenal.

Fabian Delph’s 82nd-minute goal that could prove important in the title chase since Chelsea’s first league defeat since early December saw their lead cut to six points over a Manchester City side who have three games in hand.

After the match Villa manager Paul Lambert just wanted to “talk about the football” after what he considered his best victory since he took over in June 2012.

Mourinho was still in a fury long after the final whistle. He said: “Maybe Mr Foy thought I was being aggressive. I don’t know. There are no statues in a football match so everyone should have been sent off.”

The new-style Happy One has grown steadily less happy over the past week. His expulsion was preceded by a tirade against the fixture schedule. Mourinho said Premier games, such as the Villa clash, should be staged on a Friday so his team would have had longer to prepare for Galatasaray.

He said: “I don’t understand why Galatasaray played last night [Friday] and we have to play today before our game on Tuesday. And why at 5.30pm and not 12.45 like Manchester City? There is something in this country that goes outside my understanding.”

Earlier Manchester City shrugged off the 10th-minute dismissal of captain Vincent Kompany to earn a 2-0 win at Hull. David Silva struck a superb long-range opener just four minutes after Kompany was shown a straight red card for hauling down Nikica Jelavic who was through on goal.

Manuel Pellegrini’s side then sealed their return to second place when Silva sent through Edin Dzeko to make it two in the final minute.

Hull winger George Boyd may face disciplinary action after appearing to spit at City’s England goalkeeper Joe Hart. The incident was missed by referee Lee Mason who did book Hart for an aggressive reaction.

At the other end of the table bottom club Fulham secured a vital 1-0 win – the first of Felix Magath’s tenure – at the expense of Newcastle whose manager Alan Pardew had to watch via video link from the team hotel because of his three-match stadium ban.

Fulham substitute Ashkan Dejagah hit the only goal of a 1-0 victory on 68 minutes.

West Bromwich manager Pepe Mel celebrated a first win since taking the job in January when Youssouf Mulumbu’s late strike earned a 2-1 victory at Swansea.

Roland Lamah scored for the Swans after two minutes, only for Stephane Sessegnon to equalise in the 52nd minute. Mel then punched the air in celebration as Mulumbu bent the ball past Michael Vorm with five minutes remaining.

Albion’s will continue without Nicolas Anelka. West Brom sacked the French striker after his five-match ban for the anti-semitic ‘quenelle’ gesture in celebrating a goal against West Ham in December.

Victory lifted West Brom three points clear of the relegation zone after 18th-placed Cardiff lost 2-1 at the death in their meeting with Europa League-chasing Everton.

On-loan Barcelona forward Gerard Deulofeu (59) and Juan Cala (68) exchanged goals in the second half and Seamus Coleman fired a winner for the Toffees three minutes into stoppage time.

Saints step up

Southampton climbed to eighth after surviving a spirited fightback from Norwich to win 4-2 at St Mary’s.

Morgan Schneiderlin opened the scoring inside five minutes and second-half goals from substitute Rickie Lambert (57) and Jay Rodriguez (72) looked like putting the Saints out of sight.

But, shortly after sub Johan Elmander spoiled the hosts’ clean sheet five minutes from time, Robert Snodgrass narrowed the deficit to a single goal.

However, Sam Gallagher killed off any hopes of a comeback by hitting his first Premier League goal six minutes into time added on.

Stoke came from behind to enter the top half of the table, Peter Odemwingie’s two goals proving decisive in a 3-1 home victory over West Ham.

Earlier it had taken Hammers only five minutes to take the lead through Andy Carroll but Odemwingie levelled in the 32nd minute before adding a second goal 10 minutes after Marko Arnautovic scored on 69 minutes.

Sunderland remain marooned in the drop zone after a goalless home draw with Crystal Palace.