LONDON: Swiss club Basel face disciplinary action from European federation UEFA after their tie at Salzburg in the Europa League was interrupted for 12 minutes when fans threw objects on to the pitch.

The referee led the teams off the field in the 30th minute after Basel fans hurled plastic bottles, cups and cigarette lighters at a Salzburg player as he went to take a corner.

Basel captain Marco Streller and club president Bernhard Heusler both approached the fans and appealed for calm and the teams returned shortly afterwards to continue the match.

Basel had defender Marek Suchy sent off in the ninth minute for a rough tackle on Alan and Streller was booked for protesting the decision.

Salzburg led 1-0 with a 20th minute goal by Jonathan Soriano before Streller equalised shortly after the interval. Gaston Sauro added another nine minutes later and Basel won both match and tie 2-1.

The Austrians also ended the match with 10 men after Alan was red-carded in the 86th minute.

Pirlo penalty

A trademark free-kick from Andrea Pirlo sent Juventus into the quarter-finals of the Europa League and Serie A rivals Fiorentina crashing out. The veteran midfielder fired his effort into the top corner in the 71st minute to earn the Turin side the away goal they needed.

The free-kick was awarded for a foul by Gonzalo Rodriguez on Fernando Llorente which saw the Fiorentina man sent off for a second yellow card. The win sent Juve through 2-1 on aggregate.

Sevilla claimed a thrilling derby success at Betis, going through 4-3 on penalties after a 2-0 second-leg victory. Two down from the first leg, Jose Antonio Reyes got Sevilla back in the tie with the opening goal after 20 minutes and Carlos Bacca levelled it on aggregate 15 minutes from time.

Both sides had chances to win it in the closing stages and in extra-time, but neither could take them, leaving Beto’s save from Nono’s weak penalty to send Sevilla through.

Spurs fall short

Benfica survived a scare against Tottenham before sealing their progress 5-3 on aggregate. The Portuguese side, already 3-1 up from the away leg, extended their advantage through Ezequiel Garay’s first-half goal and looked set for an easy night.

But two goals in two minutes from Nacer Chadli suddenly left the visitors needing just one more with 10 minutes remaining to force extra-time. Striker Harry Kane had a penalty appeal turned down before Rodrigo Lima’s injury-time spot-kick at the other end made it 2-2.

Lyon went through, despite going down 2-1 at Viktoria Plzen. The French side went into the match with a commanding 4-1 first-leg advantage and took the lead in the Czech Republic through Bafetimbi Gomis on the stroke of half-time.

The hosts fought back, Daniel Kolar levelling and Stanislav Tecl making it 2-1 before then missing a penalty, as Lyon went through 5-3 overall.

Valencia cruise

Valencia completed a 4-0 aggregate win over Ludogorets as Paco Alcacer’s goal earned them a 1-0 home-leg success. AZ Alkmaar edged into the last eight too, holding Anzhi Makhachkala to a 0-0 draw in Russia to go through 1-0 on aggregate.

Porto ended Napoli’s hopes after a 2-2 draw in Italy proved enough. One goal down from the first leg, Goran Pandev brought hosts Napoli level on aggregate in the 21st minute. But the visitors turned the match around after the break, Nabil Ghilas making it 1-1 before Ricardo Quaresma scored a brilliant goal in the 76th minute, quick feet taking him away from a clutch of defenders and allowing him to fire a fierce shot into the top right corner.

Duvan Zapata equalised on the night for Napoli in injury-time, but it could not prevent a 3-2 aggregate loss.