LONDON: Chelsea were very nearly toppled from the leadership of the Premier League after being turned over 5-3 by Tottenham in their New Year’s Day derby at White Hart Lane.

England under-21 striker Harry Kane was Spurs’ hero, scoring two goals and being fouled for a penalty converted by Andros Townsend as the hosts hit back from conceding an early goal to Diego Costa.

Kane’s low shot from 20m levelled before Danny Rose followed up a rebound. Then Kane was tripped by Gary Cahill for an Andros Townsend penalty before Kane’s turn and shot gave Spurs a fourth.

Eden Hazard’s run gave Chelsea hope but Nacer Chadli’s deflected effort ensured John Terry’s late goal from close range was only a consolation.

Cesc Fabregas hit a post in stoppage time before Spurs’ manager Mauricio Pochettino was able to celebrate a victory over Jose Mourinho for the first time.

Terry’s goal meant that Chelsea, at least, remained equal with Manchester City in terms of points, goal difference and goals scored, so the pair are officially classed as joint-top with Chelsea have the alphabetical advantage. If the situation were the same at the season’s end then they would have to play off for the title.

Ironically it was a goal by Chelsea old boy Frank Lampard which pulled Manchester City level with them on points.

Lampard marked the extension of his City stay by grabbing the winner in a 3-2 win over Sunderland.

The game at the Etihad Stadium burst into life when Yaya Toure rifled City into the lead shortly before the hour mark and Stevan Jovetic back-heeled a second.

Jack Rodwell’s header and a penalty from fellow City old boy Adam Johnson, after Pablo Zabaleta fouled Santiago Vergini, got Sunderland dramatically back on terms.

But Lampard, who has extended his loan from New York City FC until the end of the season, restored the Blues’ lead to ensure his former club would kick off at White Hart Lane only level on points with City.

John Carver’s stint as Newcastle caretaker manager began with a thrilling game in which they led Burnley three times but had to settle for a 3-3 draw.

Local boys Steven Taylor and Jack Colback put the Magpies ahead but Paul Dummett’s shambolic own goal and Danny Ings’ strike had Burnley level on each occasion.

Moussa Sissoko restored the Magpies’ advantage but George Boyd’s low angled drive secured a point for the Clarets.

Liverpool also let a winning position slip as Leicester came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at Anfield.

The hosts led through two Steven Gerrard penalties but two goals in three minutes, from David Nugent and Jeff Schlupp, levelled matters.

Southampton remain in the top four after a fine 2-0 win over pursuers Arsenal.

Sadio Mane beat Wojciech Szczesny from a tight angle for the first goal and if the Poland goalkeeper’s positioning was questionable on that occasion, his panicked hack clear amid defensive confusion allowed Dusan Tadic to poke home the second.

Manchester United were perhaps fortunate to escape with a 1-1 draw from their lunchtime encounter with Stoke.

The Potters took an early lead when Ryan Shawcross deftly turned in Peter Crouch’s header but Radamel Falcao equalised for United.

Stoke had penalty appeals rejected when Crouch’s header struck Chris Smalling’s arm and when the former England striker hit the post and Geoff Cameron may have been impeded as he challenged for the rebound, but they had to settle for a point.

Sixth-placed West Ham drew 1-1 with West Brom.

Diafra Sakho headed the hosts in front from Aaron Cresswell’s cross but Saido Berahino exchanged passes with Stephane Sessegnon before slotting home the equaliser as new Baggies boss Tony Pulis watched on from the stands.

Struggling Hull won 2-0 to inflict a fourth successive league defeat on Everton.

Ahmed Elmohamady headed in fellow wing-back Liam Rosenior’s cross and Nikica Jelavic sprung the offside trap to lob goalkeeper Joel Robles before Everton lost Antolin Alcaraz to a second yellow card late on.

Swansea left it late to earn a 1-1 draw against QPR at Loftus Road.

Leroy Fer’s 25-yard rocket gave Rangers a 20th-minute lead and Swansea ended the game with 10 men when Wayne Routledge was sent off for an angry reaction to a late tackle from Karl Henry – for which the midfielder was booked.

But they snatched a stoppage-time equaliser when substitute Wilfried Bony produced an opportunistic finish.

Aston Villa and Crystal Palace – the latter widely expected to announce Alan Pardew as their new manager – played out a 0-0 draw enlivened only by Yannick Bolasie’s spectacular effort against the crossbar for the visitors.