NYON: Wayne Rooney produced a dramatic end to his goal drought with a hat-trick as Manchester United reached the Champions League group stage with a 4-0 thrashing of Club Brugge in Belgium in their playoff second leg.

United won 7-2 on aggregate with progress virtually certainly from the moment Rooney put them ahead in the 20th minute. Later he converted passes from Ander Herrera and Juan Mata to record his first hat-trick since September 2011.

Herrera completed the rout in the 63rd minute after Brugge’s defence went to pieces and it would have been five had Javier Hernandez not missed a late penalty.

Elsewhere Bayer Leverkusen turned their play-off tie around by beating 10-manLazio 3-0 at home.

The Germans trailed 1-0 from the first leg, but levelled things when Hakan Calhanoglu scored in the 40th minute.

Three minutes after the interval, they had another goal as Admir Mehmedi smashed in, and the Italian visitors then had Mauricio sent off in the 68th minute before their misery was completed in the 88th, Karim Bellarabi sealing Bayer’s 3-1 aggregate win.

Also through after coming from behind are CSKA Moscow, who were 2-1 down against Sporting Lisbon from the first leg in Portugal but won the return encounter in Russia 3-1 to triumph 4-3 overall.

Sporting increased their advantage through Teofilo Gutierrez’s first-half strike, but CSKA replied after the break through a Seydou Doumbia double and Ahmed Musa effort, with the away side then being reduced to 10 men in stoppage time as Joao Mario was dismissed.

BATE Borisov lost 2-1 to Partizan Belgrade in Serbia but, with the tie finishing 2-2, progressed on away goals, Igor Stasevich providing the crucial strike for the Belarusians before Maksim Zhavnerchik’s own-goal and substitute Ivan Saponjic’s stoppage-time effort.

Astana became the first Kazakhstani club to qualify for the group stage as their 1-1 draw with APOEL Nicosia in Cyprus saw them win 2-1 overall. Semir Stilic levelled the tie before Nemanja Maksimovic replied for Astana late on.