DOHA: Qatar’s World Cup organisers have confirmed the first death related to the specific construction work for the finals in 2022.
This follows several years of international concern over labour conditions in the Gulf state when reports of construction deaths were projected as if directly related to the football stadia rather than general state infrastructure projects.
Qatar has previously reported three deaths at stadium construction sites but said they were not “work-related”.
The Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy did not name the worker who died on Saturday morning at Al Wakrah Stadium, or provide his nationality.
A statement said: “It is with deep regret we announce a work-related fatality on one of our projects. A full investigation is under way to determine the factors which contributed to the death of one of our workers.
“The relevant authorities were immediately informed and the family of the deceased have been notified. We offer them all the necessary support they may need at such a difficult time.”
Unconfirmed local reports said the worker had been struck by a water truck.
World federation FIFA said it “deeply regrets the loss of life” and was awaiting further information.
The 40,000-capacity Al Wakrah Stadium, which is nine miles south of the capital Doha, is intended to resemble the sails on a traditional Qatari dhow boat and was designed by Zaha Hadid before the architect’s death in March.