LIVERPOOL: The former football coach Barry Bennell has been found guilty of all the remaining counts of child sexual abuse.
Bennell, 64, who has previously received three jail sentences for similar offences, was found guilty at Liverpool Crown Court in total of 43 counts of sexual abuse against 11 victims.
He had previously pleaded guilty to seven counts against a further victim. Bennell, 64, will be sentenced on Monday.
During the trial, Bennell was described as a “child molester on an industrial scale” who would not just groom his victims, but also their families.
Victims who had been coached by Bennell as boys told how he had a “power hold” over them as they dreamed of becoming professional footballers.
He was said to have been treated like “God” at Manchester City’s Maine Road ground.
One victim, who he had admitted abusing in 1998, said he knew of four men who had been coached by Bennell, including former Wales manager Gary Speed, who had gone on to take their own lives.
The jury was told there was no evidence to link the deaths to Bennell.
Bennell, who had part of his tongue removed due to cancer, appeared in court via videolink for health reasons and declined to give evidence in his own defence.
But the court heard transcripts of police interviews in which he admitted having a “grooming process” and being attracted to teenage boys, although he denied the new allegations and said his accusers were “jumping on the bandwagon” following publicity.