LONDON: Manchester City bounced back in the Premier League to win 2-0 at Crystal Palace and cut the gap at the top to five points ahead of Liverpool’s match at Manchester United on Sunday.

Pep Guardiola’s side scored twice in two first-half minutes after a stellar performance from Wayne Hennessey had kept them at bay for much of the opening period.

Gabriel Jesus and David Silva scored within two minutes of each other just before half-time as Pep Guardiola’s men completely dominated and should have scored more.

Raheem Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne both struck the woodwork while Palace keeper Wayne Hennessey saved superbly to deny both Jesus and Bernardo Silva.

But Crystal Palace gave them some frights after the break, with Christian Benteke smacking the crossbar and Ederson forced into a superb save from a Wilfried Zaha shot with two minutes of normal time to play.

Gabriel Jesus said later: “We know when we come to Palace it’s always difficult for us. I have to improve my football all the time. I have Aguero with me who is a legend for City, the top scorer for the club.

“I am very happy because last season I had a very difficult start. This season is going to be different for me. I work hard but I focus on the goal all the time which is why I score a lot.”

Chelsea win

Marcos Alonso’s first goal of the season fired Chelsea to a 1-0 victory over Newcastle, who failed to muster a shot on target.

The Spaniard struck 17 minutes from time as the Blues racked up a fifth straight victory in all competitions.

Back-to-back clean sheets at home in the Premier League will also have pleased manager Frank Lampard as his young side continue to grow in confidence, and climb the table, following a slow start to the campaign.

Not that Newcastle offered much of a threat, at least until the final few minutes with substitute Andy Carroll throwing himself around in attack.

Callum Hudson-Odoi, fresh from his starring role for England Under-21s in the 5-1 win over Austria, was impressive again for Chelsea.

The winger’s early cross was headed wide by Willian before he cleverly teed up Mason Mount in the area, the midfielder turning smartly only to place his shot too close to Martin Dubravka, who made a fine save.

Chelsea were inches from opening the scoring 10 minutes into the second half when Abraham’s header flicked off defender Ciaran Clark and thumped against the crossbar.

Pulisic had a hand in the winner, pulling the ball back for Hudson-Odoi, who touched it on for Alonso to drill home.

Abraham thought he had doubled the lead late on after Pulisic squared the ball but DeAndre Yedlin slid in to deny the England striker.

Chelsea had to withstand a late Newcastle aerial raid, spearheaded by Carroll, and they held on to register another well-earned win.

Spurs stumble

Dele Alli’s late goal rescued a point for Tottenham in a 1-1 draw with winless Watford, but it does not mask another dismal afternoon for Mauricio Pochettino’s men.

Spurs were on course for a 15th defeat in their last 30 games in all competitions until Alli scored for the first time since January in the 86th minute, despite a faux pas by VAR officials, who originally showed a message of ‘no goal’.

Tottenham had lost 7-2 to Bayern Munich and 3-0 to Brighton before the international break, but this was every inch as bad as they fell behind to an early goal by Abdoulaye Doucoure.

In fact, Watford, who lost 8-0 to Manchester City three weeks ago, could have won comfortably had they been more clinical on the break, but they were denied a memorable first three points of the season and the first of Quique Sanchez Flores’ second reign.

For Spurs, the players or the tactics are no longer working and the same old problems were laid bare in a dismal first half, where Watford quite possibly could not believe their luck.

After Danny Welbeck limped off inside the opening three minutes, things got much better for the visitors as they took a sixth-minute lead.

Danny Rose misjudged a long ball, which allowed Daryl Janmaat in down the right and his brilliant cross was swept home by Doucoure from 12 yards.

It was a superb move from Watford, but huge questions need asking about Spurs’ defence.

Pochettino responded by bringing Son on at half-time and he almost had an instant impact as he cut in from the right and fired in a thunderous shot, which Foster did well to tip on to the crossbar.

That ought to have been a catalyst for a Spurs onslaught, but they again struggled to show any sort of creativity or craft and if Watford had been better on the break they could have wrapped up the game.

Deulofeu twice got in on goal but chose the wrong option on both occasions and Spurs got away with it.

It did not look like they were going to make it count as they continued to labour, until a defensive mistake allowed them back into the game.

Kiko Femenia got in the way of Foster, who spilled the ball, allowing Alli to chest it and then convert.

VAR had a look for handball, but the goal was awarded, even if the screens in the stadium showed the decision as ‘no goal’ after referee Chris Kavanagh had signalled a goal.

Everton improve

Bernard scored a fine individual goal and Gylfi Sigurdsson added a late second as Everton beat West Ham 2-0 to ease the pressure on manager Marco Silva.

Brazilian Bernard netted after 17 minutes at Goodison Park and substitute Sigurdsson struck from distance in stoppage time as the Toffees ended a run of four successive Premier League defeats.

It was a victory Silva’s side, who had begun the game in the relegation zone, thoroughly deserved.

The hosts also hit the woodwork twice and Hammers goalkeeper Roberto made a number of good saves. Were it not for a lack of a cutting edge and some dogged West Ham defending, they could have won by a more convincing margin.

Villa snatch it

Aston Villa secured a last-gasp victory over Brighton as Matt Targett’s first goal for the club ended the resilience of 10-man Brighton.

It looked to be a frustrating afternoon for Villa after captain Jack Grealish had equalised in first-half stoppage time, Aaron Mooy having already been sent off for the Seagulls following Adam Webster’s maiden goal for Graham Potter’s side.

Soon after kick-off, a poor clearance from the Three Lions defender fell to the feet of Aaron Connolly but the new Republic of Ireland international could only scoop his effort over the crossbar.

But the visitors would take the lead with 21 minutes on the clock – although it would come in slightly controversial style.

Brighton were awarded a contentious free-kick as referee David Coote booked Conor Hourihane despite the Villa man seemingly winning the ball from Martin Montoya.

Pascal Gross sent the resulting set-piece over to the back-post where summer signing Webster rose to head back across Tom Heaton and open the scoring.

Brighton’s afternoon was made more difficult when Mooy was dismissed after picking up two yellow cards in five minutes, his first for kicking the ball away after conceding a free-kick before he went through the back of Grealish.

They thought they had levelled when Hourihane smashed in three minutes before the break but the VAR ruled out his strike as Wesley was adjudged to have fouled Ryan in the build-up.

Despite being given a reprieve, Brighton could not reach half-time with their clean-sheet intact as Grealish bundled home El Ghazi’s cross from point-blank range.

Potter introduced Solly March at half-time and he sent a low effort inches wide of the post before Ryan was at his best to keep Hourihane out at the other end as he connected with Targett’s cross.

Villa substitute Douglas Luiz arrowed a long-range shot just wide in the closing stages, Brighton’s defence standing firm as Ryan produced a fine late save to keep out Keinan Davis.

But Villa would not be denied and Grealish, in front of watching England manager Gareth Southgate, rode two challenges before slipping in Targett, who made no mistake with the finish.

Norwich pull up

Struggling Norwich picked up their first away point since returning to the Premier League by grinding out a goalless draw at Bournemouth.

The even contest featured just three shots on target, with City goalkeeper Tim Krul keeping out Dominic Solanke and Arnaut Danjuma, while Teemu Pukki was superbly denied by Aaron Ramsdale.

Striker Solanke, still waiting to break his Bournemouth duck since costing a reported £19million from Liverpool, had the only attempt on target in the opening 45 minutes, forcing a fine stop from the fit-again Krul after being played in by strike partner Callum Wilson.

Cherries midfielder Philip Billing had earlier fired over the stand and into the car park behind the Canaries goal when well placed.

Norwich grew into the contest and enjoyed a prolonged period of possession.

That spell brought their maiden effort on target in the 65th minute as top scorer Pukki tested Ramsdale with a powerful drive from the edge of the D which was tipped wide.

With both sides growing frustrated and keen not to lose, the contest developed into a tetchy affair containing some questionable challenges.

Leicester revive

Leicester came from behind to defeat Burnley 2-1 on a day when their late chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was remembered at the King Power Stadium.

Youri Tielemans’ second-half strike sealed a 2-1 victory, after Jamie Vardy had cancelled out an opening goal for the visitors by former Fox Chris Wood.

The release of emotion in the celebrations, both on the pitch and in the stands, was tangible when Tielemans shot thumped off the crossbar and into the net as Leicester put themselves in a position to honour Khun Vichai with a win.

October 27 will be the one-year anniversary of the Thai billionaire’s tragic death in a helicopter crash just outside the King Power Stadium, which also killed four others.

Burnley had failed to read the script and took the lead after 26 minutes. Wood started the move with some good hold-up play on the edge of the Leicester box, before laying off the ball to Dwight McNeil.

His cross was then met by Wood who jumped in between Jonny Evans and Soyuncu to head the ball towards the top corner, which Schmeichel got a hand to but could not keep it out.

Tielemans worked Nick Pope with an effort from outside the area and Vardy fired a shot into the side-netting from a tight angle as Leicester looked for a reply before half-time.

And it came in the final minute of the first half. Barnes did well out wide on the left, getting the better of Matt Lowton, and swung a cross into the penalty area where Vardy was up early above Mee to head home the equaliser.

Maddison and Tielemans threatened early in the second half but both were off target with their efforts going over the crossbar.

Tielemans struck what would prove to be the decisive blow after 75 minutes. Substitute Demarai Gray exchanged passes with Pereira before whipping the ball into the near post area.

Wood thought he had spoiled the occasion for a second time late on but his goal was ruled out by VAR for a trip on Evans.

Leicester held on for an emotional victory which saw them go second in the Premier League table ahead of Manchester City’s game at Crystal Palace in Saturday’s late kick off.

Wolves held

Danny Ings earned battling Southampton a deserved point in a 1-1 draw at Wolves to haul the Saints out of the drop zone.

The striker’s fifth goal in four games saw Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side climb above the Premier League’s bottom three on goal difference with a 1-1 draw.

The point ended a three-match losing streak in the top flight for the Saints, with seven of their eight points this season coming away from home.

Raul Jimenez levelled from the spot but also had VAR ruled out a second, leaving Wolves in 11th.

Wolves had dominated the early exchanges but the change unsettled them. It shifted the momentum to the visitors as the Saints pressed their hosts well, with Nathan Redmond a growing threat.

They began to find pockets of space and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg should have done better than balloon over from 16 yards after 27 minutes.

It rattled Wolves but the hosts thought they had broken the deadlock just 90 seconds later.

Jimenez controlled Willy Boly’s deep pass and rounded Angus Gunn to tap in but the flag had already been raised for handball.

The striker was booked after a VAR check and he suffered more replay frustration four minutes before the break.

Neat build-up worked Wolves into the Southampton area and, when Patrick Cutrone’s flick was turned away by Gunn, Jimenez fired in the rebound.

But the hosts’ celebrations were cut short when VAR showed Cutrone was offside.

If Wolves felt a sense of injustice they let it consume them after the re-start and fell behind within eight minutes.

Vallejo’s poor clearance was helped back towards the area by Hojbjerg only for Conor Coady to completely miss the ball and Ings rolled past Patricio.

Yet Wolves composed themselves and levelled eight minutes later when Jimenez finally won his personal duel with VAR.

Matt Doherty’s slaloming run was ended when Hojbjerg tripped him in the box and Jimenez buried the spot-kick to Gunn’s right.