LONDON:¬†Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool opened up an 11-point gap at the summit of the Premier League with victory over Bournemouth while¬† defending champions City failed to keep the pressure on in the evening kick-off after losing 2-1 to neighbours United.

Marcus Rashford steered United ahead from the penalty spot in the 23rd minute after VAR adjudged that he was fouled in the box by Bernardo Silva.

After the England striker clipped the crossbar, fit-again Anthony Martial squeezed an effort under Ederson six minutes later.

City searched for a way back into the match in the second half, scoring through substitute Nicolas Otamendi five minutes from time, but they slipped 14 points off top spot.

Liverpool secured a routine 3-0 win at Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

First-half strikes from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita were followed by Mohamed Salah’s 10th goal of the season as the European champions continued their seemingly relentless march towards a first title in 30 years.

Defeat for lowly Bournemouth, who failed to produce an attempt on target, was a fifth in succession and left them just one point above the relegation zone.

Another miserable afternoon for Eddie Howe’s side was compounded by apparent hamstring problems suffered by defender Nathan Ake and striker Callum Wilson.

Everton caretaker manager Duncan Ferguson made an immediate impact as Chelsea were beaten 3-1 at Goodison Park.

Ferguson, a hero in the blue half of Merseyside after two playing spells at the club, was in charge after Marco Silva’s dismissal on Friday.

The Scot saw Richarlison rise to head Everton into a fifth-minute lead and Dominic Calvert-Lewin doubled the Toffees’ advantage soon after the break.

Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic halved the deficit after 52 minutes with his first Premier League goal, but Calvert-Lewin sent Goodison Park into a frenzy with his second goal six minutes from time – and Ferguson celebrated with a touchline dash.

Tottenham bounced back from their midweek defeat at Manchester United by thrashing Burnley 5-0.

Harry Kane scored twice to take his league tally for the campaign to nine and Son Heung-min made a claim for goal of the season with a brilliant individual effort.

Jose Mourinho’s side flew out of the traps and were 2-0 ahead inside nine minutes.

Kane found the top corner after four minutes before Lucas Moura tapped home at the back post after Dele Alli had flicked on a loose ball.

Son scored a quite brilliant third after 32 minutes when he picked the ball up on the edge of his own area. The South Korean then slalomed through the Clarets defence to slot home from 15 yards. Kane and Moussa Sissoko completed the rout.

New Watford manager Nigel Pearson was in the stands at Vicarage Road for the goalless draw with Crystal Palace.