SAO PAULO: Pele has left intensive care at the Sao Paulo hospital where he underwent surgery last week for a colon tumor.
A statement from the Albert Einstein hospital said: “Patient Edson Arantes do Nascimento is in good clinical condition and has left the intensive therapy unit. He will remain convalescing in a standard room.”
On Monday daughter Kely Nascimento said: “He is strong and stubborn, with the support and care of the brilliant team (from the hospital) Einstein and all the love, energy and light that the world sends it’ll be fine!“
She added on her message, illustrated with a photo, capture of a video call, showing the triple world champion all smiles.
Pelé underwent surgery on September 4 for a “suspicious” colon tumor, discovered during routine examinations.
His health has been failing in recent years, with several hospitalizations. The only footballer in history to have won the World Cup three times (1958, 1962, 1970), Pelé scored 1,281 goals in 1,363 matches.