LONDON: Mason Mount scored a hat-trick as Premier League leaders Chelsea thumped bottom of the table, 10-man Norwich 7-0.

Chelsea youth products Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Reece James set the tone with first-half goals as the Blues ran riot at Stamford Bridge.

England left-back Ben Chilwell then drilled in his fourth goal in five games for club and country, Max Aarons put through his own net and the Canaries had Ben Gibson sent off for two yellow cards.

Mount converted an 85th-minute penalty at the second attempt, failing with his first effort only to be reprieved by Tim Krul moving prematurely off his line.

Right at the last, England star Mount tapped home from Ruben Loftus-Cheek’s cross to walk off the field with the match ball.

Thomas Tuchel’s hosts had entered the Saturday lunchtime clash without the £152million strike force of injured duo Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner.

Their seventh win in nine games ensured boss Tuchel’s side would sit top of the table at the end of the weekend.

Mateo Kovacic laid on two assists in an entirely dominant Blues performance – that took Chelsea’s tally of different scorers to an English league football high of 17 in all competitions for the season.

Edouard Mendy’s 32nd clean sheet in 55 Chelsea appearances also underscored Chelsea’s defensive potency under tactical mastermind Tuchel.

Norwich were out of their depth.

Daniel Farke’s Canaries really ought to beat Derby’s record low Premier League points tally of 11 – but already a second top-flight relegation in three seasons appears a certainty.

The Carrow Road club’s loyalty to Farke and long-term vision merits respect, but the toll on their outclassed players is already evident just nine games into this Premier League campaign.

Champions cruise

A first-half masterclass from Manchester City saw them win at Brighton and move back up to second place.

The champions were untouchable for 45 minutes as Phil Foden scored twice after the recalled Ilkay Gundogan had opened the scoring.

Brighton were much better after the interval and arguably deserved more than the consolation given to them from the penalty spot by Alexis Mac Allister, with Riyad Mahrez striking late on as City left the south coast with a 4-1 win.

City’s players warmed up in shirts which carried the message “We’re with you Guido” in support of supporter Guido De Pauw, who was attacked following the Champions League win over Club Brugge on Tuesday night.

The travelling fans also unfurled a banner with the same slogan of support as the teams emerged ahead of kick-off.
Joao Cancelo, sent off here after 10 minutes last season, forced a fine low save out of Robert Sanchez having collected a pass from Jack Grealish, who had made a lively start to the evening.

Gabriel Jesus came within inches of opening the scoring moments later but his effort was acrobatically cleared away from under his own crossbar by Seagulls skipper Lewis Dunk.

Unfortunately for Dunk, City would open the scoring from their next attack as Sanchez spilled a Foden cross under pressure from Jesus and Bernardo Silva hooked the ball to Gundogan, who finished into an empty net.

A short VAR check for a foul on Sanchez saw the goal stand and was just reward for a dominant start.

The lead was doubled before the half hour, Bernardo starting a swift counter-attack and feeding Grealish whose low cross was turned home by England team-mate Foden.

Two would become three shortly afterwards as a Grealish shot was blocked into the path of Jesus, whose own strike deflected off a seemingly unwitting Foden and past Sanchez.

Brighton were not at the races but almost pulled one back before half-time as Ederson let a Solly March shot squirm through his grip before recovering in time to prevent a calamitous goal.

Referee Kevin Friend pointed to the spot with nine minutes to go after adjudging Ederson had fouled Enock Mwepu, with fellow substitute Mac Allister making no mistake from the resulting penalty before Mahrez added the finishing touch to City’s display.

Watford surprise

Watford twice came from behind to thrash Everton 5-2 at Goodison Park as Joshua King’s hat-trick powered provided Claudio Ranieri with his first win in charge.

King played 11 games without a goal for Everton last season but was in devastating form on his return to Goodison Park, where Watford scored four times in the last 12 minutes to come from behind against Rafael Benitez’s men and record their first victory at the famous old ground.

Everton had looked to be on for the victory after Richarlison came off the bench to head them 2-1 up in the 63rd minute but after Juraj Kucka headed Watford level, King struck twice before Emmanuel Dennis added a final flourish.

A superb Callum Wilson goal rescued a point for Newcastle at Crystal Palace but they remain without a Premier League win after nine games this season and it could have been much worse in the capital.

Referee Darren England ruled out Christian Benteke’s 87th-minute header for an infringement in the penalty area which would have earned Patrick Vieira’s side a deserved victory.

Benteke had earlier hit both a post and the crossbar while he missed another gilt-edged chance after he opened the scoring in a one-sided contest at Selhurst Park that ended as a 1-1 draw.

Rodrigo’s stoppage-time penalty rescued Leeds a deserved point in a pulsating 1-1 draw against Wolves.

The Spain forward held his nerve in the fourth minute of added time to convert his first goal of the season after Leeds substitute Joe Gelhardt had gone down under Wolves defender Nelson Semedo’s challenge.

Marcelo Bielsa’s depleted Leeds had laid seige on Wolves’ goal for much of the match after Hwang Hee-chan had given the visitors a 10th-minute lead.

Wolves appeared to have held on for their fourth straight win with a battling backs-to-the-wall display in another highly-charged encounter at Elland Road, but Rodrigo’s last-gasp spot-kick denied them.

Burnley’s wait for a first win goes on but they escaped from Southampton with a 2-2 draw thanks to a double blast from Maxwel Cornet.

In a match high on excitement, if low on quality, Cornet gave Burnley the lead before Saints equalised through Tino Livramento’s first senior goal.

The hosts went ahead when Armando Broja, the matchwinner against Leeds last weekend, grabbed his second in two matches, but another blow from Cornet, the Ivory Coast winger who joined the Clarets from Lyon in the summer for what is already looking a bargain £12.8million, secured another point for Burnley.