LONDON: Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali has been handed a suspended two-month ban after admitting breaches of English FA betting rules.

The 23-year-old, who will miss Euro 2024 due to a 10-month ban from the Italian FIGC for breaching rules on betting on matches in Italy, was fined £20,000 by the FA and warned about his future conduct.

Tonali was charged by the FA in March for allegedly breaking its rules 50 times by placing bets on matches between Aug. 12 and Oct. 12, 2023. The suspended two-month ban was handed down by an independent Regulatory Commission.

Newcastle said in a statement: “The banning period is fully suspended for the duration of the 2024-25 season, meaning he will be available to return to competitive football upon the conclusion of an existing ten-month sanction imposed by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) on Oct. 27, 2023.

“Provided that he does not commit any further breach of the FA Betting Rules during the suspension period, Sandro will not serve any part of the two-month sanction.

“Sandro made full admissions as to his betting activity, and did so in circumstances where there was no other evidence to support misconduct proceedings.”

Newcastle signed Tonali in July last year for a reported fee of 70 million euros ($74.80 million) — making him the most expensive Italian player in history — but he has missed most of the season following his 10-month suspension.

Tonali was the highest profile player caught up in a betting scandal that shook Italian soccer last year. His agent had said he was suffering from a gambling addiction.

“As acknowledged by the FA in the independent Regulatory Commission’s written reasons, the level of assistance Sandro has provided by self-referring and fully cooperating with a subsequent investigation is extraordinary and unprecedented,” Newcastle added.

“Sandro is continuing to follow a therapeutic plan and educational programme with the club’s full support and will continue to train with his team mates.”

Tonali was the second big-name player last year to receive a ban for betting on matches after England striker Ivan Toney.

The Brentford forward was banned for eight months and fined 50,000 pounds after admitting to 232 breaches of the FA’s betting rules. Toney, 28, returned to action in January.

#####