ROME: Lazio and Genoa are the latest clubs to be referred to the Italian football federation’s disciplinary commission over allegations of match-fixing in 2010-11.
The two Serie A clubs have been joined by Lecce from the Lega Pro Prima Divisione as well as eight players in being ordered to answer changes. Lazio midfielder Stefano Mauri is among the eight players accused of ‘sporting fraud’ by the FIGC after studying a report from Cremona prosecutors. The hearing is set to take place on July 24.
Matches under focus are Lazio’s final two games of the 2010-11 campaign when it beat Genoa 4-2 at home and Lecce by the same score away. The three clubs have been reported for “objective liability” and could face points deductions next season.
Last year Cremona prosecutor Roberto Di Martino said that there was an “absolute superabundance” of evidence concerning the Lecce-Lazio match. He said gamblers had appeared to win around E2m on the game and alleged that they had paid E600,000 to players.