LONDON: Tottenham Hotspur can proceed at last with work on building their new stadium after a High Court dismissed a protest against a compulsory purchase order of nearby land.
Family business Archway Sheet Metal Works had challenged an order approved originally by Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles last July.
Spurs want to build a 56,250-seat stadium to become competitive in financial terms in the Premier League but development had been held by the company’s 10-year fight.
In hearings on Tuesday and Wednesday, Judge Mr Justice Dove heard arguments from Archway, the Secretary of State, Tottenham Hotspur and Haringey Borough Council, which issued the order.
Today he issued his ruling, rejecting the company’s appeal and putting Tottenham back on course to creating a new White Hart Lane home which should be ready for the 2018-19 season.
Archway Sheet Metal Works, which produces metal items for the catering and hospitality industry, has been in dispute with the club for the last decade over its redevelopment plans.
In November, a fire gutted the premises and Mr Justice Dove was told that by police are currently “investigating the cause of arson”. The owners said they had received “bomb threats”.
Josif Josif, 46, who runs the family business, said at the time of the fire: “People were calling us and threatening us and we were receiving bomb threats and that started a few months ago, but we don’t know if that’s got anything to do with it.”