LONDON: Mario Balotelli has apologised for his red card against Arsenal and expects to hold talks with Manchester City regarding his future at the end of the season.
The Italy striker was sent off – for the fourth time this season – for two bookable offences in the closing minutes of Sunday’s 1-0 defeat at Arsenal which virtually ended City’s hopes of winning the Premier League.
At least he has been told he will not face retrospective punishment from the Football Association, as had been thought, for a reckless first-half challenge on Gunners midfielder Alex Song.
The 21-year-old has already served two suspensions this season and Roberto Mancini has confirmed he does not intend to pick Balotelli again this season; though, of course, he said the same last autumn about Carlos Tevez.
Mancini also admitted after the loss at Emirates Stadium that he would ‘probably’ look to sell Balotelli in the summer although whether Mancini will be in a position to influence the club’s decision is not certain.
Balotelli has told the Italian ANSA agency: “I’m sorry for what happened, for the disappointment I’ve given to Man City and, particularly, to Roberto Mancini, for whom I have a great respect and who I love.
“As for my future, we will see at the end of the season. I’ll talk with the club and we will see.”
Italy manager Cesare Prandelli has suggested that Balotelli’s undisciplined behaviour could see him excluded from the national team squad for Euro 2012.
# # # #