WARSAW: Eusebio has sent a message to worried Portuguese fans, players and officials that “I’m OK” after being taken ill in Poland and admitted to hospital in Poznan writes KEIR RADNEDGE.
The former Portugal and Benfica hero was reportedly in a “stable condition” having undergone a coronarography after complaining of heart pains. This was the third time this year that the 70-year-old had been admitted for treatment.
Hospital spokesman Stanislaw Rusek said: “I had the chance to talk briefly to him this morning and I asked him if his heart hurt, he said not at all so the news is good. Doctors are satisfied that his condition is stable and we will see where we will go from here.”
Humberto Coelho, another former international who is vice-president of the Portuguese federation, visited Eusebio. He said: “He’s sent everyone a message that they’re not to worry, he’s OK.”
Eusebio and Luis Figo were pictured embracing in delight in the VIP tribune in Kharkiv last Thursday after Portugal beat the Czech Republic to become the first team to qualify for the semi-finals of Euro 2012.
Eusebio, who underwent heart surgery five years ago, was treated for bronchial pneumonia last December and was readmitted to hospital earlier this year.
He played for nine clubs in a 22-year professional career but it was at Benfica where he forged his legendary reputation, scoring 638 goals in 614 games between 1960 and 1975. He won 11 Portuguese league titles, five Portuguese Cup titles and the European Champions Cup in 1962.
Eusebio scored 41 goals in 64 internationals between 1961 and 1973 and was nine-goal top scorer at the 1966 World Cup in England.
= = =