LONDON: Manchester United made a winning start under David Moyes as they opened their Premier League title defence but Arsenal were upset immediately at home to Aston Villa.

United followed up their victory in the FA Community Shield last Sunday by defeating Swansea 4-1 in South Wales.

Wayne Rooney came off the bench as a second-half substitute in time to help make both the third and fourth goals for strike partners Robin Van Persie (72) and Danny Welbeck (90). However Rooney, the subject of two bids already from Chelsea, did not join in the goal celebrations on either occasion.

In fact the three points had been wrapped up before the interval with strikes from Van Persie after 34 minutes and Danny Welbeck two minutes later.  Wilfried Bony scored a late consolation for Swansea.

In North London disappointed Arsenal fans streamed out long before the final whistle as the Gunners, reduced to 10 men, lost the lead and ultimately the match to Aston Villa.

Manager Arsene Wenger, without any major signings this summer, saw his team go ahead after only six minutes through Olivier Giroud. However Wojciech Szczesny then conceded a 22nd-minute penalty and, though he saved Christian Benteke’s spot-kick, was beaten by the striker’s header from the rebound.

Some 16 minutes into the second half Benteke converted a second chance from the spot after Laurent Koscielny fouled Gabriel Agbonlahor. Six minutes later Koscielny was sent off for a a second yellow card. Villa’s debut signing Antonio Luna scored a third five minutes from time.

First point

New Everton manager Roberto Martinez had to settle for a point from his first competitive game in charge in a 2-2 draw at Norwich.

After a goalless first half, Steven Whittaker put Norwich in front in the 51st minute but teenager Ross Barkley hit in his first goal for Everton 10 minutes later and in the 65th minute the visitors took the lead through Seamus Coleman.

Their lead lasted only six minutes, though, as Ricky van Wolfswinkel grabbed a debut goal for Norwich.

No dream start to life in the Premier League for Cardiff, who were beaten 2-0 at West Ham. Joe Cole netted on the turn in the 13th minute and Kevin Nolan made the points safe for the Hammers 14 minutes from time.

Liverpool were the first winners of the new season as they saw off Stoke 1-0 in the early game at Anfield. Daniel Sturridge scored the only goal in the 37th minute with a shot from the edge of the area.

Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic was the man of the match as he kept Liverpool at bay with a host of fine saves.

New Stoke manager Mark Hughes appeared poised to secure a point in his first competitive game when the visitors were awarded a late penalty for a handball by Daniel Agger in the 89th minute.

However new Liverpool keeper Simon Mignolet became an instant hero as he denied Jonathan Walters fron the penalty and then Kenwyne Jones from the rebound.

England hero Rickie Lambert’s wonderful week continued as he netted a 90th-minute penalty to give Southampton a 1-0 victory over West Bromwich at The Hawthorns.

It was the same score at the Stadium of Light where Patjim Kasami’s first goal for Fulham earned a 1-0 win away to Sunderland.