PRETORIA: Danny Jordaan has indicated that South Africa has no intention of stepping ina late substitute hosts of the troubled African Nations Cup from January 17 to February 8 writes KEIR RADNEDGE.
Morocco is scheduled to host the finals but the Health Ministry had said it is concerned about the risk of extending the ebola crisis with so many travelling fans likely to attend.
The African football confederation has sounded out a number of countries about taking over the finals but South Africa had been an obvious preference because of stadia and infrastructure as well as the distance from the ebola crisis nations in west Africa.
However SAFA president Jordaan said: “The Nations Cup will noty be here. This possibility does not exist. CAF should discuss the matter with Morocco.
“I am sure there are other countries are out there who want to host the competition as well. There’s Ghana, Angola, Guinea, Sudan and Algeria, who are all capable of hosting the competition.”
This was not the first time that CAF had asked South Africa to come to the rescue. The first time was when Kenya withdrew as hosts of the 1996 finals and then again in 2013 in place of war-torn Libya.
South Africa also hosted the African Youth Championships three years ago in place of Libya.
Moroccan officials had asked CAF to postpone the finals until June but the confederation had refused.