LONDON: Paul Lambert has become the latest managerial casualty after being sacked by Aston Villa following Tuesday’s 2-0 defeat by Hull which pushed them into the relegation zone.
The only surprise was that Villa owner Randy Lerner had waited so long to look for new solutions.
A statement on the club’s official website said: “Aston Villa Football Club has parted company this evening with manager Paul Lambert.
“First-team coach Scott Marshall and goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall will continue to prepare the squad for Sunday’s FA Cup tie with Leicester City at Villa Park.
“The club would also like to place on record its thanks to Paul and take this opportunity to wish him every success in the future.
“The club will announce a new manager in due course. There will be no further comment from the club at this stage.”
Lambert had signed a new contract extension in September last year, shortly after a 1-0 win over Liverpool took them to second place in the table.
But Villa’s season soon collapsed including a dismal run of 659 minutes without a Premier League goal which ended in a defeat to Chelsea earlier this month.
Nevertheless Villa chiefs showed every sign of resisting the growing unrest among Villa fans and keeping faith in the Scot despite their plunge into the relegation zone.
Lambert remained defiant after Tuesday night’s 2-0 defeat at Hull, during which some Villa fans unfurled banners calling for his removal.
He said: “You can’t feel sorry for yourself – you’ve got to pick yourself up and go again.”
Former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood, current Real Madrid assistant Paul Clement and United States head coach Jurgen Klinsmann have already been touted as possible successors.