SEOUL: Chung Mong-joon has promised to fight on with his bid for the FIFA presidency despite being knocked back in the Swiss civil courts writes KEIR RADNEDGE.
The 61-year-old South Korean was banned from the game for six years by the world federation’s ethics committee after its investigations into the 2018-2022 World Cup bid process although he has yet to receive the stated reasoning.
In the meantime Chung approached the Zurich district court to suspend the ban pending a full hearing. The court ruled that in all the circumstances it lacked jurisidiction.
Chung said that in these circumstances it would be almost impossible for him to meet next Monday’s nominations deadline for the election to choose to successor to Sepp Blatter as FIFA president next February 26. However he would still fight on to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
He said: “FIFA continues to sabotage my candidacy. Two weeks after the October 8 announcement of sanctions against me, the ethics committee has yet to send me the reasoned decision [for the six- year ban] which I must have in order to appeal the unjust sanctions.
“It is highly disappointing that the Swiss court rejected my petition on the technical ground that I did not have the reasoned decision, especially given the urgency of my situation and corruption at FIFA. That was why I petitioned the court in the first place.
“I am in a double bind: I cannot maintain my candidacy because of the unjust sanctions, but I cannot appeal those sanctions or get an injunction from the Swiss court because I do not have the reasoned decision that FIFA’s ethics committee has so far refused to send me. In the meantime, the time for me to register as a candidate is fast running out.
“If and when FIFA sends me its reasoned decision, I will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to expose the injustice of FIFA’s sanctions. With the continued support of all those who love football and all those who worry about FIFA’s future, I will continue my struggle until I achieve final vindication.”
So far three contenders have submitted their election applications ahead of next Monday’s headline.
One is Michel Platini, the suspended head of European federation UEFA, along with Prince Ali of Jordan and ex-international David Nakhid from Trinidad and Tobago.
A declaration of intent is expected shortly from the president of the Asian confederation, Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa though increasing concern is being raised about allegations – which he denies – concerning his role in a human rights crackdown in Bahrain.