NYON: European football’s governing body has confirmed that the 2016 European Championships will be hosted as planned in France, despite the terror attacks in Paris on Friday writes CHRISTIAN RADNEDGE.
In a statement UEFA said that it was confident the tournament would be safe and secure for all involved.
Earlier in the day, France’s 1958 World Cup striker Just Fontaine called for the country to relinquish hosting rights, claiming it was “simply too dangerous”.
However, UEFA remained fully behind France in their capabilities to host the landmark 24-team tournament.
The statement said: “For over three years now, (tournament organising committee) Euro 2016 SAS has been working closely with the relevant authorities to develop the most appropriate mechanisms in order to guarantee there is a safe and secure tournament and we are confident that the necessary measures will be taken to ensure that is the case for all involved.
“The Euro final draw will go ahead as scheduled on 12 December at the Palais des Congres in Paris and the final tournament will be played in France from 10 June to 10 July 2016.”
Euro 2016 will be the 15th edition of the event and the third time that France have played host, having done so before in the inaugural edition in 1960 and then again in 1984.