LONDON: Tottenham’s Premier League title bid suffered a setback despite a goal from fit-again Harry Kane as Burnley inflicted a 2-1 defeat at Turf Moor.

Not even Kane’s goalscoring return after six weeks out injured could inspire Spurs to a victory which would have moved them to within two points of Manchester City and Liverpool at the top. Liverpool travel to Manchester United on Sunday while City are in League Cup Final action.

Kane cancelled out Chris Wood’s header to give Spurs the chance to make major inroads in the title race but instead a late Ashley Barnes winner dealt them a damaging defeat.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino became engaged in a lengthy and heated exchange with referee Mike Dean after the final whistle, later blaming the disappointment of a massive blow to Tottenham’s Premier League title chances.

He said: “When you feel so disappointed and upset, you make some mistakes. We made some mistakes on the pitch and I made some mistakes afterwards on the pitch.”

Joshua King missed an 85th-minute penalty as Bournemouth were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw with in-form Wolves in a contentious game containing three spot-kicks.

King struck his late effort against the right post having earlier given the Cherries a first-half lead from 12 yards.

Raul Jimenez earned the visitors a share of the points by calmly converting the second penalty of the afternoon with seven minutes remaining.

Both of Bournemouth’s penalties appeared to be fortuitous, with the first awarded after King went down under minimal contact from Joao Moutinho, while Ryan Fraser appeared to be outside the box when he was fouled by Ivan Cavaleiro.

There was a farcical end to an action-packed contest at the Vitality Stadium as the sprinklers came on with the game in stoppage time.

The result lifts the Cherries above Everton into 10th place, while Wolves remain eighth after extending their unbeaten league run to five matches.

Miguel Almiron was denied a dream home debut by the woodwork as Newcastle eased their relegation fears by nudging 10-man Huddersfield closer to the Premier League exit.

The Magpies’ new record signing saw his cheeky lofted effort come back off the post as he attempted to round off a sumptuous counter-attack, but nevertheless made a significant impression in front of a crowd of 52,174 at St James’ Park.

A 2-0 victory was ultimately secured by goals from Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez inside the opening seven minutes of the second half with the home side having spent much of the first hammering away at Jonas Lossl’s goal as the visitors attempted to re-group following skipper Tommy Smith’s 20th-minute dismissal.

In the evening kick-off Wilfried Zaha scored twice as Crystal Palace cranked up the pressure on Leicester boss Claude Puel with a thumping 4-1 win at the King Power Stadium.

Michy Batshuayi opened the scoring with his first Palace goal when he diverted in James McArthur’s shot just before half-time.

Defender Jonny Evans equalised just after the hour with his first goal for the Foxes, but Zaha quickly restored Palace’s lead with a tap-in from McArthur’s cross.

Luka Milivojevic scored the third with a penalty after Evans brought down Jeffrey Schlupp nine minutes from the end and Zaha hit a breakaway fourth in stoppage time.