MADRID: Lorenzo Sanz, Florentino Perez’s predecessor as Real Madrid president, has died aged 76.
Sanz was admitted to hospital on Tuesday, reportedly suffering from coronavirus.
Sanz led the club between 1995 and 2000, in which they won two Champions League titles and one La Liga crown among other trophies.
Their 1998 Champions League triumph, by 10 over Juventus, was the first time they had won Europe’s top prize, which they have lifted a record 13 times, in 32 years.
In Italy former AC Milan defender Paolo Maldini and his son Daniel, a current player for the club, have both contracted the coronavirus.
Paolo Maldini, 51, a one-club player and current technical director, made a joint-record 647 Serie A appearances. Daniel, 18, made his AC Milan debut this season.
A club statement said: “Paolo Maldini learned that he had contact with a person who tested positive and was suffering from symptoms of the virus. He was tested yesterday and found positive for the coronavirus. The same goes for his son Daniel.
“Paolo and Daniel are in good condition and, having already spent more than two weeks at home without outside contact, as required by medical and health protocols, will extend the quarantine for the time necessary for a complete clinical recovery.”
Juventus have said that their Argentina forward Paulo Dybala has tested positive for coronavirus but has no symptoms, making him one of the the most high-profile players to be infected so far.
A statement said: “The player, in voluntary home isolation since March 11, will continue to be monitored. He is well and asymptomatic.”